“With the right focus and right energy, every child will
learn. And as every child learns, the future of this country will never have
been brighter,” (School Success 2007, p. 1). I have polar views when it comes
to statements like these. I believe that every child should be provided the
opportunity to learn, and I can say with confidence that in my classroom they
will. But, giving someone the opportunity to learn and that person being
capable of learning are two different things. On the topic of inclusion, I have
seen first-hand the successes of a classroom with dynamic learners. It
surprised me how much students were willing to help each other, especially the
special ed kids. Seeing them grow more confidence in themselves and in
interacting socially has made me a firm believer in inclusion. When it comes to
addressing the needs of every student, I can honestly tell you that in the
class sizes we have right now it’s not humanly possible. I don’t want to sound
defeated, this is just something I have realized in a short amount of time in a
classroom. For example, we have two classes of with thirty students in each of
them and we only have 50 minutes a day to teach them everything they need to
know. My teacher and I help every student we can, and we are also available at
times outside of the regular day, but to accomplish what we want to accomplish
with our students, we NEED the parents to be heavily involved in their child’s
education. “Learn everything you can about your child’s school. You know your
child best and understand his/her needs. Research shows that when parents and
families are involved in their children’s schools, the children are more likely
to succeed,” (School Success 2007, p. 3).
I love the opening quote you used for your reflection! I like the way you took a realistic approach to the inclusion subject vs. the idealistic route many people take. You are completely correct in saying that it is hard to include and get EVERY student learning on the same track when there are so many in each class. Parental support is key to the success of learners.
ReplyDelete